Norovirus: Symptoms & Dealing With It
Also known as the ‘Winter Vomiting Bug’, Norovirus is sweeping across the UK with a vengeance currently.
(I should know – it’s caught me off guard this weekend!)
A particularly virulent and nasty virus, it’s really important that parents everywhere know the signs and know how to handle Norovirus to help minimise our discomfort and also to try and prevent the spread within communities. We’ve taken a look at the NHS guidance on Norovirus, with a little personal experience added in, to deliver our simple guide on dealing with the Winter Vomiting Bug.
What exactly is Norovirus?
Norovirus is a nasty stomach bug that causes vomiting and diarrhoea. It’s pretty nasty, but usually short-lived – it often goes within 48 hours. It’s also known as the Winter Vomiting Bug as it tends to do the rounds during the winter months. It spreads through contact with surfaces an infected person has touched, and eating food that has been prepared by someone with Norovirus.
What are the symptoms of Norovirus?
The main symptoms are…
- Feeling sick
- Having diarroeah
Other symptoms often reported are…
- A high temperature of over 38 degrees Celsius.
- A headache.
- Aching muscles.
If your or your child’s symptoms persist for longer than 48 hours or your child seems to be severely unwell, please contact 111.
How can I relieve the symptoms of Norovirus?
Norovirus can, thankfully, usually be treated at home. You’ll start to feel better quite quickly; usually within a day, and recovered by 48 hours although you may be ‘off’ your food for slightly longer.
- Keep as hydrated as possible; isotonic drinks are fab for replacing electrolytes. Chicken broth is another good idea.
- Rest as much as possible and take over the counter pain relief for headaches & muscle aches.
- Keep your diet plain and light – simple crackers and light soups & broths will help you to keep your energy up without overtaxing your poor tummy.
What should I NOT do if Norovirus hits my household?
It goes without saying that, because Norovirus is so very virulent and contagious, you should bear the following in mind…
- Stay away from work or school until at least 2 days after the symptoms have subsided as you may still be contagious.
- Don’t visit anyone in hospital during this time as hospitals are full of vulnerable people who could become dangerously ill if they are exposed.
- Stay away from immune compromised people; the elderly and newborns are the most common. However, if you have a small baby, this isn’t possible so keep your home as clean as possible and wash your hands.
- Avoid touching your mouth and surfaces to avoid the spread.
- Hot wash every item of bedding and clothing that could have come into contact with the virus.
- Clean all surfaces; bleach, or a sanitising product like Dettol.
- Wash your hands as often as possible – hand gels don’t kill Norovirus!
We’re sending all our love to anyone currently suffering with this nasty bug!
Love from Katie & Team BBY. Xx