Do you have a real Christmas tree? Did you know that it needs regular, consistent watering?
A lot of people are blissfully unaware that a real Christmas tree needs lots of water to keep it hydrated and as low a fire risk as possible. It only takes one spark from an overheated fairy light to ignite a flame, and a dehydrated tree is much more likely to create a much more intense fire that will be harder to extinguish.
This video shared by Penn Live illustrates this; it’s a pretty terrifying watch but something that really hits home. We hope that it helps to keep all of you safe and sound this Christmas.
RoSPA (The Royal Society For The Prevention of Accidents) advises the following tree safety tips at Christmas time…
- Keep decorations and cards away from fires and other heat sources such as light fittings and don’t leave burning candles unattended
- Overloaded sockets are dangerous – check that plugs, sockets and leads are undamaged and never overload a socket as this could create a fire. If you need help to check if you might overloading, Electrical Safety First have free information here.
- Are your Christmas lights safe? If you have old ones, consider replacing them with newer models as they will have higher safety standards. Always buy lights with the BS Kitemark, read the manufacturer’s instructions and use an RCD (residual current device) for added protection against electric shock. This would apply for ALL types of tree, as artificial trees can also be flammable.
And of course… make sure a real Christmas tree is watered regularly to prevent it from becoming very flammable!
We hope that this has helped you this Christmas – stay safe!
Love from Katie & Team BBY. Xx