Baby on the way? Congratulations, mama-to-be!
Now to get you and your little bub healthy throughout those 9 months (plus-minus 2 weeks), it’s important that you think about proper nutrition.
I’m not here to talk about nutrients in full length, but I just want to touch on the value of taking the proper amount of minerals, vitamins, fibre, and essential nutrients to ensure your healthy pregnancy.
Maybe the calories from protein worry you a little. But it’s so easy to balance when you’ve got relevant information about nutritious foods ideal for your pregnancy.
Basically, lentils are great for you overall when you want to take in a good amount of protein, along with other nutrients such as vitamin B9, iron, fiber, and folic acid. Pregnant moms need all of these to thrive well during this phase in their lives.
Quick Facts on Lentils for a Healthy Pregnancy
Lentils come in different colors such as red, yellow, and a brownish-hue. But beyond the appearance, what pregnant moms can get from eating lentils would be the powerhouse of nutrients in these beans.
Here’s a run-through of the nutritional benefits you can get from munching on lentils during your pregnancy:
– Folic acid prevents defects in birth including spina bifida and anencephaly.
– Lentils are high in protein that ensures the muscle development of your baby.
– There are 179 mg of folate in 1.5 cups of lentils, and you’ll need to add a few more to these numbers to meet the 600 mg requirement for pregnant women.
– Fiber in lentils fight intestinal tract diseases.
– Beat constipation by eating more fiber, which lentils contain.
Sounds like lentils is totally a go-to food to eat for pregnant moms, right?
So we’ll make it easy for you by sharing with you these super easy lentil recipes that you’ll surely love – and maybe hubby would love to munch along with you, too!
1. Lentil Pitas with Beans and Red Cabbage
Feeling the craving for Mexican? If so, this lentil recipe is perfect for that! Bring out the pita, get your lentils cookin’, and prepare for a super tasty meal that totally deserves an encore maybe the next night!
1 can (15 oz) lentils
1 cup garbanzos
¼ cup chopped garlic
1 cup cilantro leaves
2 tbsps lemon juice
1-½ cups shredded red cabbage
½ cup Greek yogurt, low-fat
½ tsp cumin, ground
⅛ tsp red pepper, crushed
4 warmed pocketless pita bread
½ cup (or more) breadcrumbs
1. Puree half a can of lentils and garbanzos in a food processor, along with the cumin, cilantro, parsley, and garlic until the mixture is smooth. Pour into a bowl and mix the breadcrumbs in. Combine the rest of the lentils and add in a pinch of salt and black pepper. This should form about 8 patties half an inch thick.
2. Mash the red cabbage lightly with lemon juice in a large bowl. Add some olive oil, salt, and pepper.
3. In another bowl, mix the yogurt with ⅛ cup water and crushed red pepper.
4. Heat oil in your nonstick skillet and fry your patties until they’re golden brown, about 3 or 4 minutes on each side.
5. Fill each pita bread with your patties, cabbage, yogurt, and some crushed pepper and cilantro.
2. Red Lentil and Potato Curry
Indian cuisine is so possible – and super easy – to make. Yes, right in your very own kitchen! So have your ingredients ready, and let’s start makin’ that curry dish tonight!
1 cup lentils
8 pcs scallions, chopped
2 tbsps fresh ginger, chopped
¼ cup garlic
1 tbsp curry powder
1 large potato, chopped
4 pcs medium-sized carrots
4 cups vegetable broth
Salt and pepper
1. Heat oil in a saucepan and add the garlic, ginger, scallion. Cook until soft, about 2 – 3 minutes. Add in the curry powder, followed by potato, carrots, and lentils. Pour the broth in, salt, and pepper. Once it boils, reduce heat and let it simmer for about 15 minutes.
2. Sprinkle some scallions in over your curry and serve this with naan or pita bread with lime wedges.
3. Lentil and Tofu Soup
Soup is always a hearty dish to have for dinner or whenever the weather is a little on the chilly side. If you want to get your daily dose of protein, fiber, folic acid, and a bunch of vitamins and minerals, then this recipe is for you. Dish out this meal tonight and you will never regret it!
1 block soft tofu, cubed
1 cup red lentils
1 cup shiitake mushrooms
1 cup potato cut into cubes
4 cups vegetable broth
½ cup spinach, shredded
1. In a large pot, put all the ingredients except the spinach. Bring to a boil and be sure the lentils are soft and easy to mash.
2. Once cooked, toss in the shredded spinach and stir slowly.
3. Pour into bowls 1and serve with sourdough bread or gluten-free bread of your choice.
Let’s Start Cookin’!
These lentil recipes are so easy to make with simple ingredients that shouldn’t be hard to find in stores! So get ready to dish out these meals and enjoy a scrumptious treat night after night that your baby bump will truly love just as much as you do!