September has been NICU Awareness Month over in the USA!
And today, the 27th of September, is Neonatal Giving day!
Here is our blog to summarise what NICA has been doing for the duration of September to raise awareness and celebrate NICU parents & babies!
What is NICU Awareness Month (NICA)?
“Neonatal Intensive Care Awareness Month was established in 2014 by Project Sweet Peas, non-profit organisation. Project Sweet Peas is a national non-profit organisation coordinated by volunteers, who through personal experience have become passionate about providing support to families of premature or sick infants and to those who have been affected by pregnancy and infant loss.
In an effort to build a community committed to increasing awareness of the challenges faced in the NICU, and to expand resources to NICU’s nationwide, Project Sweet Peas sought to create a month dedicated to NICU awareness.” (NICUawareness.org).
What has this awareness project done to raise the profile of NICU parents and babies this month?
- Encouraging event hosting to fundraise!
- NICA month care packages can be purchased or self-made and dropped off at your local NICU – today (27th September) is NICU Giving Day!
- Encouraging supporters to get involved by sending gifts to NICU staff for NICU Staff Recognition Day on September 28th!
- Inspired followers to have ‘NICU parent nights out’, which is a great way to network and get to know other NICU parents.
- Inspired NICU parents to hold remembrance ceremonies for NICU angels.
How can I get involved?
The month may be almost over but there is still time!
Not in the USA? Not a problem, you can still show support for this fab awareness day!
- Every time you see a blog or post about NICU experiences, share it to help raise awareness!
- Know a NICU parent? Get them a coffee and offer them support.
- Got any spare tiny baby clothing? Send to your local NICU unit!
You can learn more about NICA here!
Tell us YOUR NICU stories in the comments! The sad, the happy, the turbulent, the highs and the lows… let’s raise NICU awareness and support our NICU parent followers on their journey!
Love from Katie. Xx